Carpet Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
1. You wait too long before you clean up your spill. Spills sink into carpets quickly. If you don’t act fast, that red wine will be absorbed by the carpet fibers. And if you wait long enough, the spill may dry and set. Stains can seep deep down into the carpet’s padding or, if they’re acidic, they could eat away at the carpet fibers. So whatever the spill may be, it’s always best to act fast.
2. Using the wrong cleaning products. With so many different cleaning products out there nowadays and they each have a specific purpose. Before you use a product, read the label carefully or, if the label is too vague, i would recommend trying to search internet for more information before you proceed. Many household cleaners and laundry detergents are too harsh for carpets. Their strong chemicals (which may even include bleach) are not always suitable for cleaning carpet fibers.
3. You forget to test the chemical in a non conspicuous area. If you care about your carpet at all, you should always test an area that is hidden in back of closet for example before using a potentially harsh cleaning product for the first time. Before you treat a stain in the center of the room. With just a little time and patience, you can avoid making a permanent, embarrassing mistake.
4. You use a deodorizing powder to clean. Deodorizing powders aren’t able to clean away dirt or get rid of stains, so they should only be used after the stain has been removed. They can be used to eliminate lasting odors, but they shouldn’t be used too often because many vacuums aren’t strong enough to pull all the powder out of the carpet fibers.
5. You never hire professional carpet cleaners. Professional carpet cleaning is more affordable than you might think. If you have frequent stains (maybe you have messy children or pets) or you need to prepare your home for important guests, a professional carpet cleaning will remove all those little bits of dirt, stain remnants, pet fur, and long-lasting odors. You won’t believe the difference a professional carpet cleaner can make.
6. You clean your carpet every week. While it’s important to take care of your carpet, try not to overdo it. Weekly cleanings will only detract from the beauty of your carpet as the fibers become damaged and faded. This isn’t the most common of our carpet cleaning mistakes, but it’s still one best avoided. I recommend 2-3 times a year, depending on how often you maintain your carpet and foot traffic.